At least 15 people have been killed and dozens more wounded in a suicide blast at a funeral in eastern Afghanistan, according to the local government, in one of two attacks to hit the country.
The attacker detonated his explosives in the middle of the funeral ceremony in Kuz Kunar district on Tuesday, Atahullah Khogyani, spokesman for the governor of Nangarhar province, said.
Zaher Adel, spokesman for the government hospital in Jalalabad, earlier said 12 bodies had arrived from the blast site and more than 50 people were being treated for injuries.
Some officials spoke of a much higher death toll, however.
Sohrab Qaderi, a member of Nangarhar’s provincial council, said the incident had left at least 50 people dead and more than 60 wounded. A member of parliament, Hazrat Ali, survived, he added.
Mourners had gathered for the funeral of the commander of the district’s police force, Shaykh Akram, who died of a heart attack on Monday night, when the bomber struck, Khogyani said.
At least 14 people were killed in the morning assault on the Barchi Hospital, officials said on Tuesday.
Security forces had earlier cordoned off the area as they evacuated more than 80 women and babies from the hospital, where medical charity Doctors Without Borders (Medecins Sans Frontieres, or MSF) runs a maternity clinic.
At least three attackers wearing police uniforms entered the hospital located in the Dashti Barchi neighbourhood of Kabul, throwing grenades and shooting, government officials said.