Miss South Africa contestant Bianca Schoombee has finally thrown in the towel on the Miss South Africa beauty pageant competition after mounting pressure from the public, says SYNC Models, a model management company she is under.
Bianca has been trending on Twitter after offensive content she posted on her social media account from as far as 2013 resurfaced recently. In the posts, she apparently made racial slurs and derogatory body-shaming remarks about other women.
She even went as far as to take a swipe at disabled people. After the posts resurfaced, social media users were up in arms and lambasted the model.
Crestfallen from the backlash, Bianca posted an apology on her page and asked for forgiveness for her insensitive remarks. Although she was sincere, her apology seemed to add fuel to the inferno.
Announcing the development on their page, SYNC, said,
“Bianca Schoombe has decided to withdraw from the #MissSA2020 contest and SYNC Models supports her decision.#BiancaSchoombee #Bianca”
— SYNC Models (@sync_models) May 20, 2020
Many people had been calling for Bianca to withdraw from the competition and for the organisers, sponsors and supporters to issue a strong statement disassociating themselves from Bianca.
Indirectly touching on the Bianca issue, Miss SA organisers released a statement highlighting they will only start vetting contestants after May 31 2020.
Contestants who bring disrepute to the organisation through unsavoury and unethical conduct including racism and sexism will be disqualified.