6 Zimbabweans Die in South Africa after drinking home made beer

indafrica June 9, 2020
Updated 2020/06/09 at 4:41 PM

SOUTH African police say ten Zimbabwean men have been admitted to False Bay Hospital in Cape Town with damaged eyesight while six other Zimbabweans and a Malawian national have died after drinking home-made beer.

Colonel Andrè Traut of SAPS Western Cape Media Centre confirmed on Tuesday afternoon that: “The circumstances surrounding the death of six male persons aged between 35 and 49 are under investigation after they allegedly consumed homemade beer on Sunday in Masiphumelele.

“Ten Zimbabwean men were admitted to False Bay Hospital where six succumbed to death. Four men are still receiving treatment at False Bay and Victoria Hospitals.

“Death inquest case dockets have been registered and the cause of death is methanol poisoning.”

A further update received from the Western Cape Department of Health indicated that there were 11 patients altogether.

Since then two other men have been discharged and two remain in hospital. Family members told
GroundUp the surviving men have severe damage to their eyesight.

“I am eight months pregnant with two other children, and my husband, our provider, is gone. I honestly do not know what we are going to do now,” said 33-year-old Sania Rungana, who is unemployed.

Her husband, Tapera Edward Kuseni, died at False Bay Hospital a week ago.

“My husband started drinking on Saturday. He came home and slept and drank again in the evening on Sunday. The person selling the alcohol was our neighbour. We didn’t think anything of the alcohol and the bottles had no writing on them,” said Rungana.

According to her, her husband paid R20 for a 500ml bottle. She saw him mixing what he had called homemade beer with coke and milk.

She said on Monday morning her husband couldn’t speak and “seemed confused”

“He was supposed to go to work that day. At first I thought he was just hungover, but when I saw that he was getting worse I called the landlord. By that time he was not speaking, he couldn’t see, and didn’t know what was happening,” said Rungana.

“We now have nothing, no food, no money to pay rent, and my child back home in Zimbabwe wants to go back to school. How will I pay for it now? I can’t work because I am heavily pregnant … My husband took care of all of us. Even family back home depended on him,” said Rungana.

Kuseni’s brother, Richard Chinembiri, said: “I was drinking with my brother on Saturday and Sunday. And on Monday morning I was to wake up early and go to the market. But I had a severe headache and I thought I was still hungover.”

Richard Chinembiri’s eyesight has been affected since he drank homemade beer. His brother and five other men have died, apparently from methanol poisoning.

He had not at first thought that the problem was related to the alcohol.
“I went with them to the hospital and we had him [Kuseni] admitted and I came back home, but things started getting worse — the headache was worse and I couldn’t walk properly.

I was admitted into hospital the same night my brother died,” he said.
He was discharged days later, but he still feels weak.

“My eyesight is not good. I can only see things that are close by and I have constant joint pains and headaches. I could have died,” said Chinembiri.
“I want my eyes to get better because without them I can’t work. With my brother gone, I need to be able to support the family and can’t do that if my eyes are still like this,” he said.

Natalie Watlington, Western Cape Department of Health Principal Communications Officer for Southern Western Sub-structures, confirmed the cases with GroundUp .

Watlington said, “Western Cape Government Health would like to urge members of the community to avoid the consumption of methanol as a substitute for alcohol in order to avoid bodily harm.”

Share this Article
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.