The Zimbabwe Republic Police has released the names of the 9 people who perished in a road accident that occured between Rusape and Mutare, at the 217km peg along the Harare-Mutare highway.
5 people died on the spot and another 4 died when they were being transported to the hospital.
The accident happened on Tuesday when the driver of an Isuzu KB truck lost control of the vehicle after a burst tyre. The Isuzu truck was heading towards Mutare from Rusape.
The accident victims are mainly senior citizens and have been identified as:
1. Caleb Siguwa (80) of Rusape
2. Jairosi Chitovamombe (78) of Rusape
3. Maria Mukuyi (60) of Rusape
4. Norah Luwanja (58) of Odzi
5. Betty Mukura (64) of Rusape
6. Tizai Joseph Makaruse (67) of Rusape
7. Gadloza Mandizha (61) of Rusape
8. Johnson Tekere (72) of Rusape
9. Betty Mudewaire (64) of Rusape
National police spokesperson assistant commissioner Paul Nyathi called on motorists to avoid speeding and overloading their vehicles when travelling.