General News

SEE: Video of Zimbabwean Elvis Nyathi being burnt alive in Diepsloot

The South African Police Service (SAPS) in Gauteng has confirmed that a manhunt is underway for suspects in the gruesome killing of Elvis Nyathi. The Zimbabwean national was savagely killed by a mob that chased him and set him alight.

His family claims the 44-year-old had just returned home when a group of people in his neighbourhood knocked on doors, demanding to see ID documents from residents.

Nyathi them ran out of his shack, but the angry mob caught him and beat him up.

Distraught members of Nyathi’s family were seen on live television on Thursday morning, 7 April 2022, cleaning up his blood at the scene of his killing.

YOU CAN ALSO READ: Xenophobia: DA says brutal murder of Elvis Nyathi ‘could be a sign of things to come’

SAPS STILL MONITORING DIEPSLOOT

In the wake of Elvis Nyathi’s brutal killing and protests in Diepsloot, SAPS says it will continue keeping an eye on the situation in the township.

Contrary to some media reports, SAPS spokesperson Colonel Athlenda Mathe said they are only investigating five murders which were reported in Diepsloot and not seven. She clarifies that the murders “emanated from separate unrelated incidents and investigations are still underway to arrest the suspects.”

Further explaining what led police to discover the killing of Nyathi, Mathe said: “Police were patrolling the area on Wednesday evening when they came across the incident where the suspects attacked the deceased and set him alight.

It is reported that prior to the incident the group had been moving from house to house claiming to be searching for criminals and demanding either passports or money.

The deceased is said to have ran out of his house and the group gave chase, caught up with Sithole and killed him. The suspects evaded arrest after fleeing the scene”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button